Old September 9th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Taya Chain

On 2017-09-09 12:44, wrote:
On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 8:03:16 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

Gatorskin $45, tread completely gone after 2500mi.

Truck tire, $65, tread 50% reduced after 60000mi.

Any questions?

Yeah, where do you get the idea that you can compare those two? My
bet would be that if you actually calculate the lbs/sq in. of rubber
that the truck tires is FAR more lightly loaded. Because of weight,
the Gatorskin is FAR thinner through the wear zone.

Sadly, there doesn't see to be a tire that is not geared towards weight
weenies and thicker. You mentioned that the tread on ThickSlicks peels
which wouldn't be good either.

You do have a complaint that the sidewalls puncture so easily
though.

That was very different 30 years ago. I can't remember premature
sidewall failures from back then. I used to ride Vredestein tires which
had good sidewalls but are too puncture-prone for this area. We have so
many goat's head thorns.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/