Old August 5th 04, 08:14 AM
Peter McCallum

Default Back Pain On Road Bike

Billy wrote:

Hello group, I have been riding a Mountain bike for about 3 years now.

I decided that I want to get a raod bike so I borrowed my mates for about 3
weeks now.
Its the right size for me.
But I find it very uncomfortable, and I get a sore back, where on the
mountain bike I did not get any back pain.

Is this normal, and will I get used to it ?

I am not sure if I should go and buy a road bike if I will always get back
pain, but like anything, maybe this is normal, and I will get used to it.
Am I right ?

Thanks for any feedback.
Bill

It may depend on whether you have any back problems normally. I can no
longer use drop handlebar positions due to a disc injury several years
ago. Then again, your back may just be a little weak and need
strengthening up.

The usual treatments for back pain are flexibility exercises that
stretch the hamstrings and back muscles and strengthening of the abdomen
and back. Pilates, yoga and aerobic exercises may be of benefit to you.

Maybe you should consult with a sports physiotherapist to get some
advice on whether you have an underlying problem and the sort of
treatments that can use.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum