Old September 5th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
futrino[_2_]

Default How to remove Ritchey cranks?

bfd wrote:
On Sep 5, 6:53 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
On Sep 5, 7:48 am, wrote:

How do I remove my Ritchie WCS cranks?
The crank has an outer hole with a metal hollow screw and inside that is
a slightly smaller bolt for a 10 mm allan key ( ithink). I cant really
think of another way to describe it. I have a key for the inner bolt but
when I unscrewed it it came loose and then tightened again as I
continued to turn the key. Do I just keep turning and it extract itself?
(ita an octalink bb). Do I need to remove the outer "collar" and then
use a crank extractor tool? I just cant see how to remove it because its
a non standard size.

I think self extractor with a 8mm allen wrench-lefty loosey. If all it
does is take the crank bolt out, go to a decent LBS and get the plug
that goes into the end of the BB spindle so the standard crank puller
has something to push against.

Agree, if "Penny" is confused about removing a crank, it would
probably be best if she/he went to a LBS and have it professionally
removed. The LBS could also answer all of her questions re different
cranks and bb compatibility.

Alternatively, if Penny insist on doing it herself, it could follow
Park Tool's excellent repair article on octalink/isis cranks:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

Good Luck!

I once pushed a round bolt through the square drive hole with a crank
extractor in ca1993, the bike shop had a good laugh when I took that
in, the crank was off. Also, to add insult to injury, the chainrings
were riveted to the crank arm.
dan