Old October 19th 04, 08:54 PM
Dave Stallard

do not spam wrote:

In article ,
Chris Janus wrote:

My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Sora isn't that bad, as long as you keep it clean and lubed.
Upgrading may be worthwhile if specific components are worn out.
Upgrading the whole thing will be expensive; better to just
buy a new bike.

Agree that upgrading shifter/powertrain components will be *very*
expensive. Buying that stuff ala carte is sticker shock. Example: I
paid ~$200 to get RSX STI for my old bike, which was pre-STI and about
$700 in '94. And RSX/RX100 is cheaper than 105, let alone Ultegra. I
don't know how it compares to Shimano's current line (perhaps to Tiagra?).

I'd say new bike, unless you really are in love with your current frame.
Start test riding!

My other advice, having gotten back into biking about 10 years ago, is
not to economize too much. Consider the next level up in price, if it
offers superior performance in frame, weight, shifting, ride, etc. If
only I'd done that back in '94, I might not have had to buy such an
expensive bike this year.

Dave