Old September 6th 03, 12:39 PM
Harris

Default Need to go faster / New to road bikes

"Ken Bessler" wrote:

It's my first road bike, with 700x23 mm tires
rated for 115 psi (Yikes!!!). A local bike dealer suggested
running with 85-90 psi untill I lost more weight - he was
worried that I'd be breaking spokes.

He's insane. Heavier riders should rum higher pressure to avoid pinch flats
from pot holes, etc. Run them at 115 psi. If you replace the tires, consider
700x25 or 700x28 if they will fit the frame. Then you can run a little less
pressure, and enjoy a more comfortable ride.

Herin lies the problem - I'm running out of gear - I mean
on a slight downhill or with a tailwind I top out at
about 23-25 mph and I feel like I need more gearing.
I'm in 10th gear and peddaling like mad and my legs
feel like I'm in 5th gear or so.

How fast are you pedaling? Most experienced cyclists can spin 100+ rpms.
Even with a 52x13 gear ratio, that should get you around 30 mph. That kind
of gearing was standard for years. Today, taller gears (53x12 or 53x11) are
sometimes used. I'd recommend keeping what you've got. Work on developing a
smooth spin.

Art Harris