Old July 6th 05, 09:10 PM

Default Advice needed for cranks that use self-extracting crank bolts for Campy 9 spd

"Alan" wrote:

I have bought an S & S coupled frame and need to add a crank that will
easily come off when I want to pack it up. I usually use Campy triple
cranks as I am running Campy 9 spd but I could go compact or some other
brand in a triple if it worked better. I already stripped out a Campy
crank when the add-on self-extracting bolts self-destructed and wiped out
the threads on the crank. Any thoughts about a good way to go that is
reasonably priced? Any triple cranks that come with self-extracting bolts?

Thanks,

Alan

Can you find a case that will accomodate with the crank arms with
pedals off? Constant removal of what is an interferance fit of sorts
is not likely to be good for the soft aluminum. Assuming you keep
your current set up, I'd try to figure out just what amount of torque
you need to put on bolts to affix them so your removal forces are not
so hard on the self extracting bolts.

I don't know if a splined crank assy still exists but you might be a
candidate for that.

Wes