Old July 6th 05, 10:35 PM
Sheldon Brown

Default Advice needed for cranks that use self-extracting crank boltsfor Campy 9 spd

Someone wrote:

I have bought an S & S coupled frame and need to add a crank that will
easily come off when I want to pack it up. I usually use Campy triple
cranks as I am running Campy 9 spd but I could go compact or some other
brand in a triple if it worked better. I already stripped out a Campy
crank when the add-on self-extracting bolts self-destructed and wiped out
the threads on the crank. Any thoughts about a good way to go that is
reasonably priced? Any triple cranks that come with self-extracting bolts?

David L. Johnson wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to regularly pull the cranks, no matter
what design. Self-extracting bolts don't help here, either. Such
components are not designed for frequent removal and replacement.

I agree. This might be a good application for one of the new two-piece
cranksets, such as the "10-speed" Ultegra.

Sheldon "Slave Of Fashion" Brown
| A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually |
| on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; |
| no religious basis is necessary. |
| Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be |
| restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward |
| after death. --Albert Einstein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide