Old December 9th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On Dec 9, 9:08*am, Duane Hébert wrote:
On 12/8/2010 8:01 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Do you not remember that one of your supporters in this discussion has
frequently bragged about riding sidewalks? *When he said he does, and
you said "what I do depends..." then it certainly sounded to me like
you might ride sidewalks as well.

First, I don't have supporters here. *

I'm talking about James and Dan O. IIRC it was Dan in that case.

Second, your leap of logic
is quite amazing. *Just to clarify though, if I'm in the road
and a truck is screaming up behind me and not going to stop, there
is a possibility that I'm jumping on the sidewalk. *Whereas by your
interpretation, you are going to continue controlling the road.
Good luck with that.

You're describing a terror scene again, and one which I don't seem to
experience. So just how often has that happened to you? Seriously -
is a truck "screaming up behind and not going to stop" a once a week
thing, or once a month, or once a year, or what?

To put it in perspective: I recall _once_ having to ride onto the
shoulder because an oncoming car didn't see me and passed another car,
coming head-on at me. Similarly, I recall _once_ driving my car on a
freeway and having to drive onto the shoulder because an incompetent
semi driver didn't see my car and started merging into my lane. But
those are each once-in-a-lifetime experiences for me, and NOBODY is
saying not to take evasive maneuvers in emergency situations.

But every truck or car approaching from behind is NOT an emergency.
It's a normal part of traffic, and I normally make use of my legal
right to the road...

For example, when the truck is tailgaiting me I'm going to pull to the
side and give him **** as he passes. *I'm not going to continue in the
center of the lane ignoring him.

.... whereas you apparently do cede your right to the road if a truck
drives at your speed, but too closely for your comfort.

You don't read very well do you? *The truck driver is an idiot. *It's
the car passing him and pulling into you that's going to kill you.
Stay there and become road kill then. *Will that prove your point
that you have a right to the road?

I suppose if I do get killed, that will prove I was wrong in that
instance. But let me ask the opposite question: If I have done that
ever since, oh, 1980 or so and have never been killed in the way you
describe, will that prove that I have a right to the road, and that
what I do is safe?

Seriously, what do you think the odds are? IOW, don't you see you're
exaggerating a tiny danger yet again?

- Frank Krygowski