Old December 10th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On 12/10/2010 1:47 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 10, 12:19 am, Jay wrote:

Like I said, I don't
disagree with you about taking the lane sometimes...

Good. And I assume you no longer think I'll "get busted" if I do that
in Oregon.

... I take the lane on
the Sellwood Bridge and some of the lane on Barbur Blvd as indicated
in my prior posts...
Again, I think the better
part of discretion is staying out of the lane to the extent possible
to let vehicles pass except those vehicles with a track record of
mayhem (TriMet) or in those places where even the innocent can run you
down due to road features (the off camber, hard right turn I mentioned
in a prior post).

There is always judgment involved. But in general, I've found (as Dan
Gutierrez showed in the graph I posted earlier) that too-close passes
happen only when I'm close to the right. I factor that in. There

If that graph showed that too-close passes happen ONLY when you're too
close to the right and then you were in the middle of the lane and
someone passed you too closely, would that be enough for you to say that
the graph was incorrect? Of would you think that you were having an out
of body experience or something?

You ask me why I don't read what you post. When I'm in the middle of
the lane on a two lane road, the car behind me is going to pass me to
the left when there's no oncoming traffic. What keeps him from passing
just as close? In fact, it seems to me that since he has to move
farther to the left, the chances are better. And if he's annoyed
because I'm in his way, he may do it intentionally. I've certainly had
them pass too close.

If you want to say that it's less likely that you will be passed too
closely when you're in the middle of the road, maybe you have a point.
But you can't say that it happens ONLY when you're close to the right.