Old January 17th 17, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-17 09:58, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 08:04:14 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

You won't see slow leakage anymore after switching to the thick tubes.

I hope not.

How thick are the Sunlite tubes? It seems they also make 2.25mm thick
tubes:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Dirt-2-25mm-Thick-Tubes/dp/B016QRR4TU
Racing tubes seem to be around 0.7mm while street tubes seem to hover
around 0.9mm. I can't find a number for the ones you recommend.

It's hit and miss. The MTB ones are 4mm wall thickness and the road bike
ones are 3mm. Sometimes they have lesser thickness towards the rim which
isn't so good but still much better than regular tubes. This is the
ideal tube:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....XL._SL256_.jpg

Also, do you have a rubber hardness gauge?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162026017972
I have one which I use to measure automobile tire hardness, o-ring
flex, gasket hardness, and effects of UV hardening, temperature,
solvents, etc. However, I've never bothered to test bicycle inner
tubes. Time permitting, I'll do some quick checking. Note that the
way the gauge works is to attempt to shove a needle into the material.
Hopefully, that won't puncture the tube.

I never felt the need to measure that. I just want to have no flats and
no pumping up every week or two.

I believe you do not live in hilly terrain but in the Bay Area and there
the increased weight won't matter much. The increased rotating mass
might but only if you have lots of stop and go traffic, with a lot of
braking.

Well, I live in the Santa Cruz mountains, which are full of hills.
However, I don't ride around my house. What little I do these days is
a few excursions, and some local errands. I seem to be putting more
mileage on my indoor bicycle trainer than on the road.

We have one of those and there is even a TV in view of it. My wife uses
this trainer but I stopped after half a year. I need the wind flying
through my hair. Or what little is left of the hair ...

However, I brew beer down there and because of wimpy electric burners
there are wait time when getting back to a boil. So I occasionally hop on.

... During summer,
I do service calls on my bicycle, which carrying a backpack full of
tools and junk.

I used to do that and then got panniers. Never looked back. It is so
liberating not having to schlepp anything on my back but simply load it
like on a motorcycle. Big boxes or equipment can go on top. My MTB and
road bike have the exact same panniers so if I decide last minute to
take a fun singletrack I can move the stuff over in seconds.

On my MTB the rack boom has buckled from all that load and gnarly turf
so now I am shoring that up. The back-end will ultimately have a similar
structure as that of a BMW GS1200 Dual-Sport, just smaller.

... Running errands around town involves some stop and
go, but we have a nice multipurpose road that parallels the river
which bypasses most of the traffic.

I sure wish we had MUP or at least bike lanes up here but only Folsom
and some communities west of there were smart enough. Also Placerville.
Between those there is a very long singletrack which I occasionally even
use for business travel. One client and also the software engineer I
network with are directly at that singletrack (El Dorado Trail).

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...te-611552.html

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/