Old January 17th 17, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 4:23:53 PM UTC-8, Joerg
On 2017-01-16 13:39, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 2:39:18 PM UTC-5,
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 11:03:05 AM UTC-8,
On 2017-01-16 10:43, David Scheidt wrote:
Joerg wrote:

:Yup. Standard bicycle tubes are usually junk.
Would you accept it if you :had to pump up the
tires of your car every two weeks? Yet most
cyclists :think this is "normal".

Automotive tires have a much lower ratio of
surface area to volume than bike tires. They're
also run a lower pressure, for the most part.

Truck tires are often operated around 50psi or
higher. Like my MTB tires are.

A truck tire weights as a much as TWO UCI minimum race
bikes -- or one DH bike. Now throw in the rim. You
have peculiar expectations for bicycles. You're
theoretically perfect bike would weigh about 250lbs.

-- Jay Beattie.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What Joerg's
wants in a bicycle are would be met by a 250cc
dirt-motorcycle converted to pedal power and the engine
removed.

I find it astounding that so many others who ride in
very harsh conditions do NOT have the breakages or other
problems that Joerg does.

According to several bicycle shop owners they do. Many
said that two factors allowed them to survive as a
business:

1. Mountain bikers breaking stuff all the time.

2. Department store bike buyers who needed help and found
that the store that sold their bikes was less than
helpful.

Unlike cars, which never need to be fixed, and that's why
there are no auto repair shops. http://tinyurl.com/jba5fgb

Care to compare the number of vehicles plus the miles
traveled? Maybe then it becomes more clear. Cars are way more
reliable than bicycles. Especially if you buy top quality cars
like we did. Other than regular scheduled maintenance there
were no breakdowns in the whole two decades we own them. None,
as in zero. Not even one flat tire. Try that with a bicycle.

I just spent $1,200 on a clutch because my dopey son lives in a
city with 20% grades up to stop lights. That does not include
the motel bill and towing when the clutch went belly-up outside
of Baker City. That was after new rear drums, bearings, etc.,
etc. I've stupidly re-bought that car -- not including gas and
oil changes.

Get a new son 8-)

He needs to get an automatic. Knowing SLC and Cameron Park, I can
guaranty you that his hills are worse than yours. Driving a dirt road
is one thing. Coming to a stop on a 20-30% grade at a light with
cars a foot behind you is another.

I can take you on some roads that would likely make you re-think that
statement. And I do venture past Cameron Park.

I drive a stick-shift and have hauled copious amounts of fuel
pellets, lumber, industrial equipment, plus half-ton loads of
firewood over some really bad dirt roads. We have a very hilly
terrain including some steep roads that can scare people. Nothing
ever broke.

An F-1 patch costs me $.08. A decent bike is $1K, and I don't
pay insurance, registration, licensing, etc.

You do pay insurance. Bike mishaps are simply covered by other
insurance such as home owner's but you must pay the premiums. Else
you might lose all you've got if you screw up in traffic and cause
a serious crash. One of the many reason for umbrella policies. As a
lawyer you should know :-)

So what your saying is that I pay nothing extra insurance-wise for
owning a bike. It is covered by insurance that I already own. (:
OTOH, there are whole other things called "auto insurance policies"
-- specially for autos! And they cost a lot! ):

That is the same as saying that welfare costs us nothing. _Everyone_ is
paying for the risk of cycling including home owners who never ride. Is
that fair? I don't think so but that's the way it is. With cars you only
pay if you actually have one. If you have decades of no claim it's cheap.

What I pay in car insurance annually would buy me an all new
bike every year. Skip cleaning the chain -- just put last year's
bike out with the garbage. Plus, my bikes are reliable. I
reliably change the chain when the wear indicator indicates and
change the tires when they are worn out. I fix a flat now and
then and do other routine maintenance. It's not like some
monumental inconvenience, and if flats were epidemic, then I
would switch to a hard-case tire. I would not agonize over the
fact that the 20lb tire on my Subaru goes flat less often.

My point is that when I say I am going to be there for an
important meeting at 11:30am I don't want to leave half an hour
earlier just in case I get a flat. And good luck getting that
Gatorksin tire back onto one of my rims.

If it takes you half an hour to fix a flat, you have other problems
that need to be addressed.

Yeah, I could get new rims and/or different tires. That is why finding a
suitable tire isn't easy. You are welcome to come over and try getting a
Gatorskin onto my rims.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/