Old January 17th 17, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 18/01/17 07:59, James wrote:
On 18/01/17 06:36, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 10:56:13 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

Yeah, I could get new rims and/or different tires. That is why
finding a suitable tire isn't easy. You are welcome to come over
and try getting a Gatorskin onto my rims.

Dude, I was mounting first generation Turbos on E2s rims using my
bare thumbs, but when I could no longer stand the pain, I got a VAR
tool and packed that. http://tinyurl.com/j9ul39s There are other
options as well. http://tinyurl.com/j2otl8g

And if you are riding such gnarly ****, how is it that you are still
riding vintage rims? I would assume the brake surface is worn nearly
through or the rim is bashed up enough to justify a new rim
manufactured in the last decade with a deeper profile and a better
fit for most tires.

A little care taken with a pair of tyre levers and they can be used to
put a tight tyre on without pinching the tube. Even Joerg should be
able to do that, and he has tubes that resist pinch flats like nothing
else.

BTW, I've witnessed others bitching and moaning about Gatorskin tyres.
Thankfully I've never needed to bother looking for more puncture
resistant tyres than my favourite Michelin Pro 4s.

--
JS