Old January 19th 17, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Fuel: was: Stronger rubber cement?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:11:50 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Got it only in German but if really interested I could translate it:

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/14555...sliriegel.html

I was rather surprised that I could read that. For example, knowing
the history of the haversack told me at once that "haferfloken" are
rolled oats. Knowing for sure that the extraneous parts were
extraneous took some dictionary work, though.

It's a little more work than it looks like, with the bacon and all that,
and cutting into bars at the end so they can be packed on a bicycle.

I think that I could substitute Aldi's bacon bits for finely-gewürfelt
bacon; "Speck ausbraten ohne Fett" appears to say that one should fry
all the fat out.

My
wife puts all of them into the freezer and then moves as many as needed
to the fridge a couple days before rides.

Back when I made high-calorie muffins (one cup each of raisins,
sunflower seed, self-rising mixed edible powder, and sweet liquid), I
put them into my pannier still frozen, so that they would stay fresh
longer.

I don't think that I used them on cold days, since I wanted to stop
inside warm places as often as possible. Also, I rode down into the
cities instead of up into the boonies in the winter.

It took me years, maybe decades, to figure out that I could cut them
into bars after baking if I spread the dough on a cookie sheet
(technically a jelly-roll pan). Cutting into bars is nothing compared
to filling eighteen muffin cups.

I tried baking the dough in a square pan and slicing the cake, but the
slices fell into crumbs. I don't know how long it took me to realize
that all they needed was more crust.

But these days I mostly eat Aldi's "protein bars" -- more like Rice
Krispies Treats, if you remember that fad, but denser and not sticky.
I've gotten into the habit of carrying more food than I intend to eat,
and I'm glad of it several times a year.

Since I now *start* inside the city, I usually plan to buy food along
the way, and seldom intend to eat *any* of what's in my pannier.
Store-bought bars have the overwhelming advantage that left-overs can
be saved for the next trip even if it's a week off.

I forgot to bring spare food once, and said, no sweat, I'll buy a
package of bars at Owen's West. After circling the store several
times, I realized that there is a good reason that I always buy my
food bars at Aldi. (This was before Breakfast Biscuits appeared, and
even those require a little cream cheese.) Just as I despaired of
finding anything edible, I noticed a store employee re-arranging the
bananas. Duh!

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net