Old May 12th 04, 03:02 AM
Gary Perkins

Default Carbo loading before a race?

I'm glad you asked this as I'm been too shy to mention it before.

I started racing last year and am trying to race every weekend that I can at
the same time lifting my weekly km to between 200-300km. During the last 6
months I've found that I need to watch what I eat (I use the word fuel now)
as if I dont get the right combination of carbs and protein I feel very
sluggish and tired during the day at work. The night before a race we have
started the tradition of making our own pasta and I pig out. This gives me
more energy for the race there is no doubt but for prolonged exercise I
still need to fuel during the ride. I've tried rice the night before but
it doesnt seem to have the kick of pasta or doest last as long I dont know.
During the ride I've switched from dates to cheap apple/cinnamon bars but
the best is the Gels. I only buy the Gels for special occasions as it gets
a bit expensive.

Anyway I'm very keen to hear what others are doing.

Cheers
Gary

"jb" wrote in message
Anyone here do this? What exactly do you eat, and when??