Old August 10th 04, 05:29 PM
Tony Raven

Default Opinions on Dahon Bikes?

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

I'm beginning to get that "third bike itch". Myrtille and Behemoth are
both city bikes and have my everyday riding needs pretty much wrapped up
between them.

I have started to dream of longer runs, bike touring in beautiful
holiday places. But this almost always seems to mean renting an
unfamiliar bike locally and getting used to its idiosynchracies.
Behemoth is way too heavy to cart around. And there are many kinds of
terrain for which she has let me know she is unsuitable.

I'd suggest having a read of the Foldsoc website
(http://www.foldsoc.co.uk) which compares and contrasts different
folding bikes. For what you want to do the Brompton is probably not the
answer as you've found although some swear they are suitable for long
distances. The options to look at are the Dahons, the new Trek and
Specialized folders, the Birdy Red and the Giant Halfway. The Airnimal,
Bike Friday and Moultons are better riding bikes but much less
convenient folded/disassembled and are a fair bit higher price than you
are looking at. Given what you've said I'd stretch that little bit
further to a Birdy Red which will be good for touring but can also be
folded up for use around Paris should you wish. The Dahon's are not
nearly so neat folded but then they are primarily designed to fold up to
store in small Far Eastern apartments rather than in the car, on the
train or taking inside for security

I know its not Paris but if you get the chance to go to Bath Railway
Station, Avon Valley Cyclery are just out the back and have all the
different models that you can try and compare before buying:
http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk

Tony