Old February 15th 05, 02:42 PM
Maggie

Tim McTeague wrote:
"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why are you being so mean to Oprah. Are you a male Chauvinist

oink,
who can't stand to see a woman rise to a position of POWER....Well

she
did it baby, and no one can take it away from her. She never had an
easy life. Now, she has it all. And she is a great woman. That's

my
take on it.

Maggie

Typical, as soon as you criticize the mighty Oprah you are a male

oppressor.
Lots of woman made it big and earned my respect, not that they need

it.
Oprah is pure fluff, the books hawked in her club lack substance and

she
panders to the touchy-feely side of woman that guys like me just

don't
understand. I feel the same way about Madonna for similar reasons.

She too
lacks any real talent except how to market herself. Sure they are

rich and
may be great business people but I don't respect the cigarette

companies
either. Great business plan, lousy product. What exactly is "Great"

about
her? Somehow I don't agree with the common person's concept that

being on
TV is the ultimate accomplishment. I think Martha is a small step

above
Oprah but Hilary is in a different league. I actually respect her

even if I
don't always agree with her. I am never put off by strong woman and

even
find it attractive. However, the folks that just adore Oprah leave

me cold.
Emotion over intellect, style (of a sort) over substance. Can I

please find
her odious without being labeled a pig?

Tim McTeague

Ok, I can't let this go even if it is off topic. Have me arrested. I'm
off topic. Hang me upside down in the town square and stone me. I have
to defend a good person. Maybe she rides a bike. Who knows.

Mr. Tim,
I can't believe some of the ridiculous statements made in your post.
You sound as if you are trying to be viewed as an itellectual and in
doing so, you show your ignorance. You say, she "hawks" books. "She
encourages reading."

Oprah Winfrey was named one of the 100 Most Influential People of the
20th Century by Time Magazine, and in 1998 received a Lifetime
Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and
Sciences.

Her influence in encouraging people to read began when she started her
on-air book club. She was presented with the National Book
Foundation's 50th anniversary gold medal for her service to books and
authors.

My son hated reading as a child. He had a very smart teacher who found
books for him on topics that interested him. He did not push required
reading down his throat. His goal was to help him enjoy reading. He
accomplished that with this method. This is what Oprah is doing. She
is encouraging people to read. Is that such a bad thing? Just because
its not War and Peace, doesn't mean its not worth reading.

The reason Oprah was voted one of the nicest people of the 20th century
was because she has the ability to relate to all people. She lived
through alot and brought herself to the top. How can anyone find this
woman odious. That is a mighty strong word. She has been an
inspiration to so many of us. In my opinion the only thing odious was
your post. OK, I vented. I'm finished. I'll go ride my bike. Its going
to be 50 degrees today in Jersey. Maybe when I return I will read a
fluff book without any substance. AND I WILL DAMN WELL ENJOY DOING IT.
As I put my emotions over my intellect and my olive in my martini.
All Good Things,
Maggie