Old February 15th 18, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2018-02-15 03:37, sms wrote:
On 2/14/2018 9:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Now, now. Steven should be congratulated for his public service.
More people need to be involved in public service. However, I still
think DRLs in sunny California are dopey.

It's in sunny areas where they are most necessary. In non-sunny areas
people are already using lights in the daytime.

And of course the necessary brightness of a DRL, which is used solely as
a "being seen" light, is much lower than what is needed to see the road
at night. You can learn more at
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/daytime_running_lights/.

For me this is fact. I have noticed a significant drop in the number of
drivers not seeing me or seeing me too late, for example when pulling
out of lots or parking spaces. Even when opening driver side doors
(though I ride outside the door zone). All motorcycles in the US have
mandatory DRL and there is are reasons for that.

A side benefit is that bright daytime lighting causes many wrong
direction cyclists to hightail it out of the bike lane, thinking
something fast is coming at them. Which it is.

... Of course
we will soon see claims that this is all self-interest by Trek, whose
sole aim is to sell more lights.

Everybody should know that such articles aren't very suited to foster
sales of their own products but lights in general. The usual reaction
with many brand name lights is "Now WHAT do those cost?!" and then
people scope out Amazon, Walmart, Newegg, EBay and others. Just like I did.

I even found that no-name lights can be of better quality than name
brand lights that cost a lot more (not Trek though, I never had any of
theirs).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/