Old November 12th 03, 06:38 PM
harryo

Default Velokraft vs. Baron, Jester, etc. Your thoughts?

"EZ Biker :-\)" wrote in message news:Niisb.176657$Fm2.158685@attbi_s04...
OK as promised (To my Friend(?) Ed Dolan) here's a fresh post inviting
anyone's thoughts about the new LR kid on the block; the Velokraft. (It's
been a HOT Topic in the BROL HPV message board. So, I invite opinions on if
Barons, Taifun's, Jester's and other presently used LR's are going to start
showing up in the For Sale ad's, due to this (VK) 19 lb carbon fiber
beastie?

I certainly don't plan on parting with my Baron. It is a proven
commodity and the Velokraft is not. I am not implying that the
Velokraft is not a quality bike. From all appearances it seems it is,
but there just have not been enough of them produced, with enough use,
to establish how they will fare long term, especially for everyday
road use. Again, I am implying nothing about the Velokraft's quality,
but I can't help wondering how any superlight, CF lowracer would hold
up, for extended use, by a clydesdale, like myself.

I also wonder how much weight you will actually save. From reports I
have read, a 19 lb Velokraft is only possible if one is willing to
spend big bucks for the lightest components. Again, I would wonder
about the durability of some of these components for everyday road
use. I have never been a weight weenie and as Dave said, I don't feel
the weight savings of a Velokraft would translate to much of a speed
increase for the riding that I do. Perhaps if one were mainly riding
very hilly to mountainous terrain, there could be an advantage for
climbing but then, IMO, a lowracer is not really an ideal bike for
climbing anyway.

Another problem I see, for the US market, is a single distributor.
Optima ran into this problem when Yellowbike was the sole US dealer.
If a good dealer network is established, any problems could be minimal
but given the nature of the handbuilt, low volume production of the
Velokraft, I don't see this happening. Lowracers, themselves, are a
niche market bike and the superlight CF lowracers are niche market
within that niche market. I really can't envision them becoming
mainstream in the lowracer market.

In the last several years, I have repeatedly heard two lowracers
touted as being the most streetable for everyday use and long distance
road riding. these are the Earthcycles Sunset and the Optima Baron.
The Sunset is no longer in production and there are very limited
numbers available if current owners wished to sell. The Baron is in
production, is easily available and has a proven track record.

Harry