Old February 28th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dennis Davis

Default [Kinda Off-Topic] What gets your healthier? Cycling or Running?

In the referenced article, bugbear writes:
naked_draughtsman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.

I think it depends what you mean by healthier. People always say
cycling is excellent for burning calories but at the local gym
the readouts on the machines say that cycling burns the least
calories per hour! (Rowing ~ 700 cal/hr, running ~ 800 cal/hr?,
cycling ~ 300 cal/hr).

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Pretty unique in that regard.

Quite. To quote one of the contributers to this forum:

Cycling is unique in the way it can incidentally provide good
exercise while being justified by its quotidian utility.
-- Chris Malcolm
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK