Old April 2nd 14, 12:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
James[_8_]

Default Southern cross drive accident

On 20/03/14 20:18, Stuart Longland wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:29:02 +1100, F Murtz wrote:

Was this where an alternative bicycle track exists ?

I'm not familiar with the area but some cyclists will still choose the
road when a track exists as the road is usually better maintained and
free from debris.

Particularly racing bikes, as they run high pressure tyres and are more
susceptible to punctures.

(I stick to the footpath unless circumstances require it though, as a
courtesy to drivers.)

You are correct. There are also often pedestrian obstacles on shared
paths, and those pedestrians often come with unrestrained and
unpredictable pets and children, making it hazardous for all 2 wheeled
vehicle operators and pedestrians alike.

Most often I ride at least 5-6 times walking speed.

Cars are only about 2-3 times faster than me.

As my riding speed is more comparable to motor vehicle speed, I feel it
is sensible and practicable to ride on the road with other road vehicles.

BTW, as many of us commute relatively long distances on roads, we ride
"racing" bikes as commuter bikes because they offer the best solution.

Riding on the road in Melbourne on my "racing" bike, I get maybe one
puncture per year, but I avoid wet weather riding when possible, as this
is the most dangerous condition and leads to most punctures.

--
JS