Old July 11th 05, 01:56 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default carbon seatposts in carbon frames - TLC?

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
No defense necessary. I just like explanations for things so I
understand. Just because someone (even the "experts" at Campagnolo) said
so carries little weight, in my mind. Personally, I don't understand how
turning the clamp around 180 degrees will help. The inner diameter of the
seat tube must be reduced somehow to clamp the seatpost, and I don't think
compressing the seat tube is the better alternative. The diameter has to
be made smaller, and that's what the split clamp does. Unfortunately, it
also provides uneven, point loading at the edges of the slot.

Robin: Peter's correct that it's generally a good idea to reverse the seat
clamps. The problem comes when the slot in the seat clamp lines up with the
slot in the frame. In both cases they try to deform (point load, as you
mention), increase pressure on that one particular spot. You don't want to
increase pressure on a spot that's already suffering from increased
pressure, and keeping the slots from lining up prevents that. What Trek is
doing now is creating a seat clamp that has a diagonal slot, so it can still
be placed normally (without putting extra pressure right on the edge of the
frame slots).

Gee just like the one from Campagnolo, ya know Robin those 'experts'
that don't know anythin? I guess if it's from Trek, it's a good idea
but if from Campagnolo, bad idea to you.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles