Old March 22nd 18, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Long Brake Levers

On 3/21/2018 3:41 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 13:45:06 -0700, sms
wrote:

On my DaHon Speed TR folder, it had brake levers, branded DaHon with a
longer handle than other levers I've seen, about 1" longer. One of the
levers broke in half and I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement.

No clue on a replacement, but if you still have the remains of the old
lever, it can be repaired in various ways. I had one I fixed by
drilling both sides of the break. On the thick side, I drilled it for
an interference fit for a roll pin. On the other side, I drilled it
loosely because it's very difficult to get the holes aligned on the
same centerline. I then filled the hole and mating surfaces with
structural epoxy and allowed to harden for over 24 hrs. I'll see if I
can find it and take a photo. However, there's not much to see. Just
a crack that goes around the lever.

Another way is to TIG weld the two pieces together. I haven't done
this, but have seen the results. If it's done professionally, it
should look good and hold together quite nicely. You'll probably need
to know the Al alloy. My guess(tm) is forged 6061-T6.

I don't have them anymore. But there is just no way you could have fixed
these given the small surface area and the large amount of force put on
levers. I suppose that welding some sort of reinforcing bar would work
but be kludgy.

Now that I know the description "four finger brake levers" I should be
able to find something. These are for linear pull brakes.

As someone said, "four finger" is not a very accurate way to specify the
length. Looking at pictures online is about the best I can do. The ones
that look the best are not available anywhere, the EVO, E-Force Park V.