Old July 6th 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Pollution guzzling bike promises cleaner and greener cities

On Fri, 06 Jul 2018 11:16:11 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-07-05 23:02, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Pollution guzzling bike promises cleaner and greener cities
http://www.climatechangenews.com/2013/12/11/pollution-guzzling-bike-promises-cleaner-and-greener-cities/

New bike reduces pollution by cleaning air as you cycle
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/bike-pollution-cleaning-air-bicycle-beijing-china-dan-roosegaarde-a7829891.html

Just one little problem. It isn't healthy riding around on a bicycle
while breathing polluted air:
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/feb/13/tipping-point-cities-exercise-more-harm-than-good

Better living through (cough) technology.

Best not to live in a metropolis and then all those problems go away. As
long as you avoid cycling behind a school bus.

Our local skool busses have been running on CNG (compressed natural
gas) since 2002:
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/general-news/20180601/santa-cruz-metro-unveils-new-buses
http://www.tpgonlinedaily.com/fta-awards-1-2m-to-metro-for-new-buses/
The weird thing about these buses is that they used to put something
in the gas that makes it smell like lilac flowers (or xylyl bromide
poison gas). It was strong enough to cover up any other exhaust
stench. However, I just realized that I haven't smelled the flowers
for several years, so I guess they stopped doing that. Or, they may
have moved the tail pipe to dump the fumes INSIDE the bus:
"More exhaust inhaled by kids inside school buses than by others in
the area, says study"
https://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2005/04/04_schoolbus.shtml

I moved out of the big city in about 1973 and have been living happily
in the overgrown forests of the Santa Cruz mountains. Back then, the
dogs used to sleep in the middle of the main highway. Today, it's
either a race track or a parking lot. I'm told that anxiety,
excitement, or panic bad for my heart, so I avoid riding on the major
highways. Mostly, I ride on the bike paths that parallel the river.
That should work until someone decided to run buses on the bike paths.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D