Old June 11th 16, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

Default Mountain Biking - Ban vs. Compromise

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 10:15:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 6:27:34 AM UTC-7, Edward Dolan wrote:
Another report from the trenches. I think bans only work since mountain
bikers are such scofflaws.

*

It was good to read your point of view and I get

that perception is a big deal.* However, the

activist mountain bikers donít seem to share

your point of view.* Iíve observed a total

disregard for the laws by these activists and

yet they are not seen as ďfreaksĒ as you

identified yourself.* I also agree that walking

in wilderness should not be banned and that the

ďdamageĒ hikers do is not nearly as horrible as

biking does.* I never considered mountain biking

(Iíve always been a street/paved path

bicyclist).* Because of Mikeís activities and

his sharing on the damage of this activity to

our wilderness and the bicyclists has made me an anti-mountain biking

activist.

I think that if we could get enough volunteers

around the world to adopt a trail or two that

does not allow mountain biking; we can help the

park rangers with enforcement.* I began that

process by hiking a trail in Oaklandís

wilderness and discovered the website was not

current in its information.* So I helped by

communicating with East Bay Parks and they fixed

it.* Now Iím adopting a new trail which I will

begin next week (weather permitting).

I donít think this is radical Ė I think itís a

good way to begin the process of educating

everyone to the radical mountain bikers who

donít care about wilderness in the same way most folks do.

My Process:

∑******** Walk the trail at

least one time per week

∑******** Bring a whistle (and

light if necessary)

∑******** Wear nice bright

clothes so you are

not invisible ( a safety vest is good)

∑******** Bring a cell phone

(or satellite if you have one)

∑******** Enjoy nature while

paying attention

∑******** If you run across

illegal trails or

mountain bikers, be polite but ask them to get

off of their bikes and walk to the nearest legal trail (have one in

mind).

*

Or back the way they came, which they don't like.

*

If they are hostile, use your whistle and cell phone and

∑******** Then report any

incidents (minor or major) to the park rangers.

*

Good idea! A digital camera is also useful.

Photographing them sends them a message, and

inhibits their law-breaking, and the photos may be

useful for law enforcement. I think that a

digital camera usually takes clearer photos than a cell phone.

*

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

*

Trails are for walking. Whatís the matter? Canít walk?

*

Ed Dolan the Great Ė Minnesota**

*

*

After carefully trying to observe the "damage" that bikes cause I noted that the bikes cause the damage of smoothing out the rain ruts on soft ground and making no damage on hard ground except where kids on bike tried to jump logs laying across the trail from rain or wind fallen trees. It sure is terrible that a fallen tree can have chunks carved out of it by sprokets.

So what you are really complaining about is that you don't want anyone else using "your" trails.

I have the impression that it is more a matter of control, rather than
a logical decision. From all he writes, bicycles belong on the
highway, not in the woods, and he is not going to allow you to defile
"his" forests.

And the fact that the Federal Government built most of what he is so
defensive of makes no difference at all.

--
cheers,

John B.