Old January 8th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".

Cheers

https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...%3Ayoutube.com