Old January 15th 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 4:49:30 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 08:58:29 -0800 (PST),
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom
bracket in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop
severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but
the adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter
turn, but then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no
flats for a wrench instead having holes for turning with a pin
spanner--so I'm unable to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for
me?

Have you had any luck getting that cup off or looser?

Yep, I got the adjustable cup out just now, and am working on the
fixed. I posted a few more details elsethread.

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

Check Sheldon's Tool Tips again because he tells you whether to tighten the inside or the outside of the bolt-nut tool.For what it's worth I found that it took a lot of presure to tighten the nut/bolt to the point where it'd unscrew the cup and when it did it was a very sudden movement of the cup.

Good luck and cheers