Old February 9th 17, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bike building

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 7:56:19 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/9/2017 9:45 AM, wrote:
Hi Peers,

I am Maria. I love to cycle and have few bikes. Been thinking about building a bike myself or for my kid.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Share with me your experience?

Thanks.

Assuming that means building a steel frame?

If you don't already have torch skills, enroll in a tech
school night class for low temperature brazing. One semester
is enough and they are cheap.

Start with a copy of a frame you have at hand, using direct
measure rather than conjecture about geometry changes. As
with any metalwork, measurement and planning are key to a
successful construction.

You know, it would never have occurred to me that he was speaking of building a frame from scratch because of the extremely complex tooling required and the mechanical skills which would be so necessary that he wouldn't require any advice from dummy's like us.

I suppose you or I could build a steel frame with limited wooden tooling but I wouldn't think that it wouldn't come out as straight as the cheapest frame on the markets.

Even things as simple as lugs are quite difficult to make without investment casting and then they have to be made for a specific tubing set. You have to buy high end tubing sets for the actual size bike you're building.

The shop I used to hang out in, the owner built Witt bicycles and while at the time I thought them wonderful, they really couldn't hold a candle to a Tomassini or Atala and while these bikes are normally well built and straight they don't have exactly the best choices for tubes.

And where do you get bottom brackets these days for BB30?