Old February 10th 17, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Bike building

On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 09:56:21 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 2/9/2017 9:45 AM, wrote:
Hi Peers,

I am Maria. I love to cycle and have few bikes. Been thinking about building a bike myself or for my kid.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Share with me your experience?

Thanks.

Assuming that means building a steel frame?

If you don't already have torch skills, enroll in a tech
school night class for low temperature brazing. One semester
is enough and they are cheap.

Start with a copy of a frame you have at hand, using direct
measure rather than conjecture about geometry changes. As
with any metalwork, measurement and planning are key to a
successful construction.

I would also suggest downloading a copy of The Paterek Manual for
Frame Builders and read it until you understand what the writer is
talking about.

Secondly, alignment is important and most "modern" frame makers use
alignment jigs extensively but old time frame builders used far fewer
and depended on very careful measuring. Do a search for Youtube films
of Tanabe Kalavimka building frames for examples.

In addition along with learning the physical part of brazing or silver
brazing you probably should read a series of articles published in
Bike Tech back in the 1980's titled "The Metallurgy of
Brazing", Parts 1, 2 and 3, available on line.

As an aside, I found that the English supply house
http://www.framebuilding.com/
the most extensive supplier, as well as being cheaper than U.S.
suppliers. They are also very helpful and give good advice.
--
Cheers,

John B.