Old May 15th 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On 5/14/2017 11:43 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sat, 13 May 2017 07:45:40 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/13/2017 12:38 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:

I have acquaintances who ride bikes from the 30s-40s-50s (mostly old
British stuff) quite often. Couple drops of oil every so often and
those old S-A hubs will practically run forever.

+1

And if not 'forever' at least 'lifetime' after which who cares?

Usually the original owner's lifetime then the lifetimes of several
subsequent owners. Sometimes someone will overhaul one, but I think
it's mainly for entertainment than necessity.

My friend Jon is a rabid British bike collector and has dozens of bikes,
many of them pre-WW II, and has rarely had to take apart an S-A. 70-80
years old, add a few drops of oil and they work fine.

Some people would say that indicates over-design, which is bad design.

Personally, I love it.

--
- Frank Krygowski