Old November 11th 17, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Front axle, what thread?

Folks,

I'd like to get rid of the QR on my MTB and replace the whole chebang
with a solid axle, preferably CroMo. I want the cones and other hardware
from the old one to fit. Seems hard to find these days. What I measure
on the existing axle is a diameter of 0.349" which usually translates to
9mm. However, most front axles I see are 9.5mm. Are they just called
that or are they really 9.5mm?

Some dealers have 9x1 which I think means 9mm and 24tpi. Is that the
usual standard?

The lengths are also a bit excessive, 155mm where only 140mm is needed
but I could either cover that with something round (to avoid it tearing
into flesh during a crash) or grind it off.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/