Old November 12th 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default Front axle, what thread?

On 2017-11-11 14:34, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/11/2017 4:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

I'd like to get rid of the QR on my MTB and replace the
whole chebang with a solid axle, preferably CroMo. I want
the cones and other hardware from the old one to fit. Seems
hard to find these days. What I measure on the existing axle
is a diameter of 0.349" which usually translates to 9mm.
However, most front axles I see are 9.5mm. Are they just
called that or are they really 9.5mm?

Some dealers have 9x1 which I think means 9mm and 24tpi. Is
that the usual standard?

The lengths are also a bit excessive, 155mm where only 140mm
is needed but I could either cover that with something round
(to avoid it tearing into flesh during a crash) or grind it
off.

Most current solid fronts are m9x1 standard metric. Solid front axles
used to be m8x1 and still are for the low end of bicycles. Your QR
front is m9x1

Thanks, that is great. That means I can simply swap out the axle.

Last time I swapped out QR axles, I just pinched solid ones from random
wheels laying around the garage.

The cones didn't look *EXACTLY* alike, but the originals were incompatible
thread to the replacement axles. The whole salvaged axle and cones went in
and served until the brake blocks wore through the alloy rim.