Old November 13th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Front axle, what thread?

On 2017-11-11 14:34, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/11/2017 4:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

I'd like to get rid of the QR on my MTB and replace the
whole chebang with a solid axle, preferably CroMo. I want
the cones and other hardware from the old one to fit.
Seems
hard to find these days. What I measure on the existing
axle
is a diameter of 0.349" which usually translates to 9mm.
However, most front axles I see are 9.5mm. Are they just
called that or are they really 9.5mm?

Some dealers have 9x1 which I think means 9mm and
24tpi. Is
that the usual standard?

The lengths are also a bit excessive, 155mm where only
140mm
is needed but I could either cover that with something
round
(to avoid it tearing into flesh during a crash) or
grind it
off.

Most current solid fronts are m9x1 standard metric.
Solid front axles
used to be m8x1 and still are for the low end of
bicycles. Your QR
front is m9x1

Thanks, that is great. That means I can simply swap out
the axle.

Last time I swapped out QR axles, I just pinched solid
ones from random
wheels laying around the garage.

The cones didn't look *EXACTLY* alike, but the originals were
incompatible thread to the replacement axles. The whole
salvaged axle
and cones went in and served until the brake blocks wore
through the
alloy rim.

I just noticed that finding a 9mm solid axle from CroMo is
very tough. The ones I found were all non-metric or
sealed-hub BMX. Or no key-way which can make a front wheel
removal in the field hard. I'll probably visit some shops
that sell and service used bikes which is where I bought my
last CroMo rear axle for the old MTB (after which it didn't
bend or break anymore).

You haven't really looked:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dur...gAAOSwk9dZnPkv

cheaper for a new complete hub:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-HB-...kAAOSwr6pZ9M1K

Or as I suggested earlier, visit any LBS which services
bicycles. This is not rare or odd in any way.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/