Old December 3rd 17, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default FOLDING BIKE

On 12/2/2017 9:10 PM, LF wrote:
On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 10:30:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
NYT'S TRAVEL section gift list

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/gifts...t-folding-bike

Only time will tell. Dahon design flaws can show up after a while. For example, I was surprised to find the spoke nipples on my relatively high end Dahon Speed 7 were aluminum -- discovering this only after stress fractures dislodged the spokes. Why would the designers choose failure prone aluminum over the standard brass nipples? I was luckier than my friend, who's aluminum Dahon frame also developed stress fractures. Over time, many of the nuts and bolts rusted on various parts of my bike rusted. The Speed 7 looked good when I bought it. Over time, the design flaws blossomed. I have bikes that are older, and held together much better.

Dahon showed one really nice folder at Interbike in September, the Curl
i8. It's the only Dahon frame where the chain is on the inside when
folded (like the Brompton). Very pricey. They only made 500 of them. Has
a telescoping stem, like older Dahon models, but that was dropped on
newer models to reduce weight and cost.

https://dahon.com/news-story/35th-an...ble-pre-order/

The new management at Dahon is pretty clueless, following the death of
Pete Mole. When I mentioned the fact that their 35th anniversary model
had a big advantage of the chain being on the inside they had no idea
why that would be something that anyone would care about, even though
Brompton figured that out a long time ago.

I have a Dahon Speed TR 3x7 which I really like. I've had it for
probably 20 years now, and bought it when I had my folding bicycle
website and Josh Hon gave me a good deal on it (40% off MSRP). Now he's
moved on to Tern.