Old May 27th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bike computer that work in the rain

My old Avocet 45tt bike computer has died and I need to replace it. There
were several things I really liked about this computer:

1) It was rain-proof. I have ridden many hundred of miles in the wet with it
and never had a problem with it leaking.

2) It always worked in the rain (actually, the cadence feature wouldn't
always work in the wet, but you can't have everything). This distinguised it
from other bike computers I have owned that stop reading speed with the
contacts on the mount get soaked.

3) It had cadence. Silly, I realize, but I enjoy it.

4) The odometer was settable so that if you did a mid-year battery change you
could re-enter the mileage. Also probably silly, but I enjoy keeping track
of my mileage as the year goes by (about 2850 so far this year).

I am a high-mileage comuter in Seattle so stuff that won't survive rain
doesn't have much place on my bike. I suppose wireless would solve some of
the rain reliability problems, if it really works reliably the rest of the
time.

I would appreciate hearing about the experience of others with similar
requirements. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Just apply some vaseline in the contact area; it prevents water doing
its shortcutting work.

Martin

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu