Old October 23rd 17, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 10:40:51 AM UTC-7, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per :
as well as making the entire forward half of my feet without feeling.

What do you do about keeping your feet on the pedals?

I've been using cage pedals without cleats - not being able to afford
the dues on learning clipless - but lately out-of-the-saddle has been
problematic because somehow sometimes a foot flips the wrong way on the
pedal.

Pete, I use Look pedals. The old Delta cleat ones since there are a lot of really cheap pedal sets on the market. But you have to concentrate on learning to insert and click-out of the pedals in difficult conditions such as on hills etc.

The Shimano off-road SpD's are far more easy to get into but you have the same trouble of clicking out in an emergency. And SpD shoes are usually easier to find cheaply - you can get a tennis shoe type with laces that is easier on the feet than most road shoes.

But the proper fitting shoes and pedals and the ability to clip-out rapidly make riding far easier. I pedal circles that way which gives you perhaps another 20% power with no more energy outlay once you build your quads.

But don't use ANY clipless pedal unless you have your problem diagnosed to make certain that it isn't physical.

I have been having arm pain lately. It turns out that I tore my ACL ligament three months ago. The tear isn't bad but because of the way I lay on it sleeping the pain became pretty unbearable at times. Why the hell did it not show up for a month? Physical therapy should work the doc says.

Funny that it doesn't have any pain when I'm riding because of the position of my hands. And often the pain is less after a ride.