Old June 26th 03, 07:57 AM
Dave Stocker

Default URT sucks?

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

When you stand, you
|are unloading that preload. It looks clever. Has anyone here ever

ridden
|one? Nevertheless, IMHO, it is inappropriate to label this thing URT.

LOL.

Educate yourself:

http://www.math.chalmers.se/~olahe/Bike/Rear/urt.html

Says:
"This category of bikes is, or at least used to be, characterised by the
fact that the rear triangle and the bottom bracket is one unit, connected to
the main triangle via one pivot point. I say used to be since there are some
newer designs (like Kona) that still puts the bottom bracket on the swingarm
but also uses a linkage between the swingarm and the shock. I will call this
new design "linked URT" and the old design just URT. URT's are also called
"floating drivetrain"."

http://www.titusti.com/techtalk.html

Says:
"The basic idea behind all unified rear triangle designs is to isolate the
drivetrain from the forces of the suspension. There are two basic types of
unifieds: Sweet Spots and low pivots. Sweet Spot designs do a good job of
eliminating any pedal or rider induced suspension movement. On Sweet Spot
Unifieds, the suspension is fully-active while the rider is seated and
becomes less active when the rider stands up. Most builders of unified
designs focus their design towards cross-country rather than down hill. On
Sweet Spot designs, there is a large change in seat to pedal distance as the
suspension goes through its travel. This occurs because the seat and cranks
are on separate moving parts of the frame and the pivot is approximately
midway between these two points. You will not experience any Bio-pace or
DISC on a Sweet Spot unified design."

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/F...7/fullsus.html

Says:
"The unified rear triangle (URT), or floating drivetrain, is a rear
suspension design whose popularity is waning in the current climate of
downhill and freeriding.

The basic premise of this type of design is to isolate the rear suspension's
effect on the drivetrain by placing the entire drivetrain on the swingarm
itself. Thus, the various components of the drivetrain move together as the
suspension compresses and extends. This eliminates any chain reaction and
can also allow for a very clean, simple suspension configuration consisting
of a single large pivot and a directly driven shock.

The inherent problem with this design is that the rider is in effect
standing on the swingarm. This is less of a problem when the rider is
seated, but the natural tendency when going over larger obstacles, rough
terrain, or technical sections is to stand up, rendering the rear suspension
almost useless. The flip side to this effect is that during sprinted or
climbing out of the saddle, the suspension's lack of movement is considered
a bonus, as less energy is wasted in suspension movement.

There have been several very popular URT bikes in the past, most notably the
Klein Mantra, the Trek/Gary Fisher Y-bikes, and the Ibis Sweet Spot. There
have also been twists on the URT design in the form of the GT iDrive and the
Paul Turner desiged Maverick."

LOL! This is all consistent with what I said.

but from http://www.castellanodesigns.com/diff.html
"While developing the Sweet Spot suspension, John became intrigued by the
idea of incorporating spacecraft-style pivotless flexures into his
long-travel suspension system, and began modeling and testing pivotless
prototypes. This work culminated in the Ibis BowTi, the ultimate expression
of his Sweet Spot Suspension. With 5" of travel and no pivots, the titanium
BowTi is in a class by itself. Castellano's next inspiration led to the
SilkTi and Ripley softails, also built by Ibis, featuring John's pivotless
Flat-Plate chainstays and Critically Damped Elastomer shock."

So the bow tie is considered a variant of URT. More importantly, the guy
who designed it did so with the intention of building a pivotless high pivot
bike.

So I stand corrected about the Bow Ti. But I still maintain that it is a
titanium monstrosity! ;-)

-Dave