Old January 3rd 18, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default brake arm

On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 06:52:29 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:
If we assume Torpedo 1S original parts how hard should you pull the
nut?

I heard 28-32 Nm for the dome nuts on the axle is what Shimano
specifies for their 1S hub.

Also, is it mandatory to release the nut before pulling the wheel back
to tighten the chain? Because I know it can be done without doing so.

I use carefully calibrated instruments to snug the nuts down just
enough: my hands and a standard open end wrench. I've never used a
torque wrench for this. Unlike a QR, threaded axles don't add
significantly to the bearing preload (because half of the force is
loaded against the threads, pulling the axle away from the hub, and half
is loaded against the dropout pushing towards the hub).

The nuts just have to be snug enough to resist chain tension pulling the
freewheel side forward. You will quickly learn to feel how much force
is needed. With a toothed washer, not a whole lot of force is really
needed with a coaster brake hub.