Old July 1st 13, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Default Another Helmet Thread

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Monday, July 1, 2013 11:56:51 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2013 9:43:54 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:

The ironic thing is that there are many activities where protective

equipment is available but often not required (at least for adults), and

no one is screaming about how the availability of such equipment makes

others think that the activity is exceptionally dangerous. We went

kayaking on Saturday. I can't recall there ever being a drowning in the

slough where we were. The rental companies train participants in how to

prevent a capsize and the slough isn't very wide or deep, yet almost

everyone wears a PFD even though PFD's aren't that comfortable.

The U.S. averages about 4000 accidental drownings per year. Look it up. The U.S. averages about 730 bike fatalities per year. Which is the bigger problem?

PFDs are almost total proof against drowning. Helmets are nowhere near total proof against bike fatalities, despite astonishing hype to the contrary.

Now, when a person chooses not to wear a PFD when kayaking on calm waters (which, BTW, is very common) are bystanders yelling "Where's your PFD?" Are people be writing letters and internet comments saying "They shouldn't get insurance coverage" or "they shouldn't be rescued"? Do kayak shops really have posters saying "Always wear your PFD!" Somehow, the kayak shop run by my friends, seems to have forgotten to put up such a poster.

I don't know anything about the per-hour fatality rate of kayaking & canoeing, vs. that of bicycling. But I strongly suspect that bicycling is safer, yet gets much more fear mongering. IOW, I think Scharf is not alone in his anti-cycling rhetoric.

- Frank Krygowski

"PFDs are almost total proof against drowning. Helmets are nowhere near total proof against bike fatalities, despite astonishing hype to the contrary."

Sorry to burst your bubble but a PFD is NOT almost total proof against drowning. A PFD, which can be something as simple as a seat cushion, does NOT KEEP THE FACE OUT OF THE WATER IF THE PERSON IS UNCONCIOUS OR INCAPACITATED/Fatigued. You are thinking of a LIFEJACKET which WILL keep a head out of the water. There's a huge difference between a PFD and a lifejacket.

They are more demonstrably effective, as their function is
something that can easily and ethically be tested.

They are probably more effective, as well, but we just
don't really know. Apples and oranges... er, more like
apples and chicken soup, anyway. The hazards they are
intended to protect against are equally disparate (though
a PFD might cushion a blow to the head, and a closed cell
foam helmet liner might help keep you afloat. Hmmm... )

But some concepts are apply to the discussion. PFD's,
for example, are *required* for every passenger on boats
here, I think; and the public authorities consistently
say to *always* use them.