Old March 26th 15, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

Default stainless steel chain

On 3/23/2015 8:55 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 06:42:39 -0500, Doug Cimperman
wrote:

That is false.

Stainless steel suffers galvanic corrosion so easily in salt water that
it isn't allowed to be used below the waterline on most types of
oceangoing ship hulls.
http://www.worldstainless.org/transp...s/shipbuilding
http://www.dieselduck.info/machine/0.../corrosion.htm

Strange. I lived on a auxiliary powered sail boat for about 15 years
and was never aware that stainless wasn't to be used on a boat....

Not a boat, a ship.
And not the whole ship, just the submerged part of the hull.

Most enclosed-hull boats I've seen had all kinds of stainless deck
fittings and railings. Those are safer to fail and easier to fix than
the underside of a 200,000 ton bulk carrier ship tho.