Old January 19th 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-17 20:21, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 07:43:37 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-01-16 18:04, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:11:50 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-01-16 16:50, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 10:16:51 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-01-03 17:04, Joerg wrote:
Gentlemen,

Is there something stronger than the usual rubber
cement in the patch kits? Ideally something that
won't dry out so fast or where multiple cheap
small tubes are available.

The reason is that I sometimes have larger holes
from side wall blow-outs. Not inch-long gashes
but one or two tenths of an inch long. The tubes
I use are super thick and, therefore, expensive.
$15-20 each and that's not something to be thrown
out lightly. Instead of the li'l REMA patches I
need to use thicker rubber from an older
sacrified tube but this has to be
vulcanized/cemented really well.

Thanks to all responders (also Barry and Doug).
I'll order Slime Rubber Cement with my next Amazon
shipment because that's what David uses, he says it
works well and it isn't expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1050-Ru.../dp/B003V9UU66

Whatwhat!! Are you *seriously* claiming r.b.t has been useful!? What
ever is the world coming to?

Usenet is very useful, I guess that's where the name
comes from. A lot of hints here go into my bicycle
files, in the sense of "If ... ever breaks consider
replacing it with ..." or "If it breaks don't ever use
...".

When I mentioned in a post in a newsgroup that I had
bonked, want to avoid it but can't stand the cyclist
astronaut food or any sweet stuff someone responded
with a link to a recipe for homemade non-sweet power
bars. My wife bakes them to this day. Yesterday I
shared these bars with another rider who really likes
them as well. Can't buy them anywhere.

Out of curiosity, is your wife's recipe actually free of
sugar, in any form, or it just doesn't taste sweet?

It has a pinch of sugar for some reason, not sure if that
can be left out or replaced with something else. You can't
taste it though. While they also mention just a pinch of
salt we add several pinches because in summer one sweats
out a lot of salt here.

Got it only in German but if really interested I could
translate it:

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/14555...sliriegel.html

It's a little more work than it looks like, with the bacon and all that,
and cutting into bars at the end so they can be packed on a
bicycle. My wife puts all of them into the freezer and then
moves as many as needed to the fridge a couple days before
rides.

That looks like a recipe for some sort of Oatmeal cookies
with bacon, rather than the usual "power Bar" concept, which
is usually something that your body can get a quick bunch of
energy from to replace what you have lost.

I make sure I eat them during a scheduled break at some nice
and scenic area, not after I begin to feel a hard bonk coming
up. The latter is a mistake I only made once and don't want to
experience that again. These bar get me through the rides quite
nicely. Usually 40-45 miles, partially under a lot of power.

The difference is usually in how fast your body converts
carbohydrates to energy. Simple carbohydrates, essentially
sugars, are converted rapidly and complex carbohydrates like
starches are converted much slower. Which is, of course, why all
the energy drinks contain dextrose or sucrose or some other
simple carbs.

This is why I carry dextrose tablets in my first aid kit. So far I
never needed one of those myself but others did.

Back when I was running I "bonked" or may better, "crashed and
burned". I reached the point where even after sitting down and
resting for a while I physically could not run any longer. I
would sit down and rest until I felt better and set off again and
within 100 yards, or less, wouldn't be able to run any more.

That is exactly how one MTB ride ended for me. I still had to ride
about 10 miles home and did. Unfortunately mostly uphill. Those 10
miles took me about two hours and several times I had the urge to
just plop myself into the grass and sleep. Luckily I was riding
with a friend who made sure I didn't do that. Early on he gave me a
liquid energy pack but it didn't help at all. I guess once you are
in the bonk it's too late.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Jeorg, perhaps you like your present road bike or cannot afford
another but otherwise I do not see why you don't get a cyclocross
bike.

Because I am married :-)

I love this old steel frame bike and considering that I also have two
MTB in the garage my wife would (rightfully) want me to get rid of it
should I buy a cyclocross bike.

I have two and enough room between the stays and fork to mount
32 mm tires. Since these are little more than standard road bikes
with more room between the stays you can set them up for anything
from hard off-road to street.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/5960735902.html

Nice but if I ever get a new road bike it'll be similar to one of these
in titanium:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...comp_ti_xv.htm

Ideally not 11-speed (7 or 8 would be nice but I guess I'd have to
settle for 10) and eyelets for a rear rack would be great but I'll
probably have to make brackets.

My current steel-frame road bike has very sturdy rack mounts which is
important to me. I often carry a lot of load on roads of that dreaded
"Californian quality". It is 7-speed, was 6-speed but I converted it
after the last UG freehub went ka-crunch.