Old May 14th 09, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Default Boris keeps the important traffic flowing

Ian Smith wrote:

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Squashme wrote:

[quoting someone else, I think]

In each case, the cause has been the same: a child has started to
cross, only to be marooned in the middle of the road when the green
man has started to flash. Like all pelican crossings, it simply
doesn't give you enough time, thanks to the Mayor's decision to reduce
the length of time all traffic lights in London stay red in the hope
of reducing congestion. Linford Christie might be able to make it but
a child doesn't stand a chance."

I don't think you can entirely blame Boris - the pedestrian phase I
use most often is so short that at my normal walking pace (as an above
averagely fit and healthy adult) I get about 80% across the road on
the green man. This is well outside Boris' sphere of control.

With my daughters accompanying me, I typically get to about the white
lines in the middle of the road.

regards, Ian SMith

indeed which is why as a car/van/bike/on foot i like zebra crossings,
one can cross when you want and you are only their for the time it comes
to cross, and on road you don't end up waiting at lights when people
have pressed the button but given up waiting and crossed any way.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Capital to Coast