Old April 11th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bentracer and Bentrider[_2_]

Default Ultegra shifter problem

On Apr 11, 4:10*pm, gary wrote:
i have a problem with my shifter that started at the end of last fall
that i think i know what the problem is but am looking for
confirmation.

bike is about 7 years old with ultegra 6500 shifters.

the issue is with my right shifter (i.e. back cassette) when i shift
into a higher gear (i.e. smaller cog). *the shift works ok but when i
eventually want to shift back to a lower gear and swipe the large
lever for the next lowest gear it does not "catch". *i have to swipe
the large levere all the way (to the left) before it will catch and i
can feel resistance on the shifter. *at that point i can hit the
shifter to shift to the next lowest gear. *i'm guessing (hoping) that
it is just cable slack that i can adjust.

does this sound just like the cable has to be tighten (?) by adjusting
the knob near the rear derailleur?

thanks!

the problem you are having is gummed up paws, what you need to do
is,get yourself some WD 40 and flush out the lever where the paws are
and keep working the lever until it catches and lube it more with a
slightly heavier lube.