Old December 16th 17, 11:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On 16/12/17 05:34, James wrote:
On 16/12/17 13:59, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 7:14:57 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 14/12/17 17:04, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

-- JS

oops forgot to answer questions. The ray trace is from design
software called Zemax. Every other ray trace has some red center.
This beam is so even that it has early no red anywhere.

The Nasa Lunar Resource Prospector development unit has a few
Oculus mounted on it in a layout that resulted from trial and
error til we made a light field with virtually no variation in
the region the robot "sees".Â* The light field dimensions aren't
public info so can't say, but you can probably make a rough guess
from the picture. The new Roverscape indoor area with synthetic
lunar "soil" and "moonrocks" is mores secure than they can get me
a clearance for.Â* Latest update is they're moving ahead with
their algorithms based on how my lights light up the region for
the vehicle's cameras. Maybe once this baby sends back the first
pics of the Dark Side (small south polar region) of the moon, an
aerospace giant will buy up my patent and I'll finally get to
cash in instead of scraping away with a flashlight and bike light
industry that doesn't like new guys or technology that would make
them change their tooling and infrastructure.

You could try to reply to the message where I asked these
questions.

If I could find your original mixed in a few days of digest, else,
here's your reply, stop being an asshole about it.

A ray trace projected on to a surface perpendicular to the light
source is not representative of how the light will be used in the
real world. Hence, your picture is of no practical use.

All beams are designed to ray traces.Â* You also have that picture
from the NASA grounds showing the beam on ground.Â* "Hence" go ****
yourself and you bull**** character attacks. Stay the **** on topic
here of get the **** off this forum.

I thought I was fairly clear, but obviously still misunderstood.Â* I'm
sure B&M use ray tracing light simulation software too, however their
beams are shown with the light mounted at the fork crown and projected
on to a surface that is representative of the light on a road.Â* See here;

https://www.bumm.de/en/technologie-detail-en/iq-iq2-iq-premium-41.html

They also have real world beam shots, but of course no competitor's
lights for comparison.Â* Note that the headlight I have illuminates the
wall in their photo out to 45m ahead.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/produkt/1752qsndi.html?

Now you resort to colourful language, insults and such.Â* Well, you
certainly know how to self destruct!

The beam patterns are certainly representative of the real world in my
experience. There is a close is 'flood' area, with a much narrower
'far' beam, and a noticeable dip between them. Imho, the close in flood
is actually too wide, being over a meter to each side, I personally
don't need to see what's going by! Also, the cutoff (SVTzO) is very
noticeable against other torch/non-SVTzO lights I see about, especially
when oncoming :-(

Some people don't like it. I can imagine crossing the high sierras
between sunset and sunrise you would want a much lazier beam to pick out
the drop bears high in the trees, but in any sort of lit/unlit urban
environment it's a must.