Old June 11th 18, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-07 17:02, sms wrote:
On 6/6/2018 7:35 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental toothbrushes. My wive
found a brand at Costco that is more rigid than the usual ones so
the
job goes faster now. First used for my teeth, then later some day
for
a chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular toothbrush,
followed
by a good wipe-down with Kleenex. Once the chain is really shiny I
apply White Lightning Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the
waxy
stuff in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I use a
Q-Tip to dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe off any excess
with
a Kleenex.

That way a road bike chain can run 150-250mi between cleanings
depending on whether I ride more roads or more bike paths. Gets
dirtier on roads. 40-50mi on the MTB, mostly on dirt trails. The
upside is that this method does not require me to take the chain off
the bike which I would really dread.

OMG, is anyone really spending that much time on chain maintenance?!

Get yourself a Park chain cleaner (or some other brand).
Fill it with kerosene and run the chain through it. Repeat with clean
solvent until the chain runs clean.

Unless the chain is in the solvent, and moving, you won't get it
clean
on the inside.

When it's clean, lubricate it with a foaming chain lube.

So how long does that process take? And I mean with clean-up including
the cleaning of the tools used. For most of those of us who are
married clean-up is necessary, we can just leave the stuff sitting on
some bench.

The bike is already on the stand for washing.

Last time I washed my road bike was ... ahm ... nineteen-sumpthin. The
MTB doesn't get washed either, it just wouldn't make sense.

The problems you have with equipment failure start to make sense...

The BB would not have failed if I had hit it with the pressure washer
after every ride. Yeah, right.

WTF are you talking about? I don't wash my bike with a pressure washer
and I don't wash my bike after every ride.

I'm saying if you don't take care of your equipment and you seem to
complain more than anyone of your equipment not lasting.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... I have a pan in my shed
with a bottle of degreaser (not kerosene but something biodegradable)
and the Park chain cleaner in the pan.Â* Takes a few minutes to fill up
the tool and run the chain through it.Â* The pan catches the slosh. I
don't usually change the degreaser.Â* A couple minutes in the chain
cleaner works well enough for me.Â* Hose out everything and let it dry
while the bike is drying.Â* Certainly takes less time than what you
describe with the toothbrushes.

Well, yeah, if you just put the bath, the pan and so on back on the
shelf as is. Not gonna happen here.

You missed the part about hose everything down and let it dry with the
bike.Â* Cleanup doesn't take any time.

Hose down the bath container? That would get you into trouble with
environmental watchdogs some day.

What bath? Comprends-tu biodegradeable?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... Not that I care much how you clean your
chain.Â* Just answering your question.

Above all, avoid hot wax.

http://nordicgroup.us/chain/

I know some people who boil their chains in wax and reported good
results but it's a major chore. Such reports also have to be taken
with a grain of salt because not everyone rides on pristine asphalt.
Some of us ride singletrack where the front wheel generates a plume of
dust and the chain is right in the middle of that.

I think James uses wax and I doubt that he rides only on pristine
asphalt.Â* Why do you care what other people do to clean their chains?

Never said I did.

You sure write a lot about it then...

Only about how I clean mine. It works.