Old June 12th 18, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Flying Pigeon [photos]

sms wrote:

At Interbike last year I saw a new bike with
rod brakes. [...]
Search for "Rod Brakes Are Back!" for
a photo.

If "rod brakes" is what they are called,
I don't need to search for that for a photo,
I already posted two in this very thread

It is interesting you all speak of the poor
quality. Because the bike looked pretty solid
to me. It was in a poor state, sure, but I know
what treatment they receive in general, year in
year out, so I don't blame the bike first hand.
The components and boltware had a lot of rust
tho, so perhaps the quality of the stainless
steel, if that's what it was, wasn't top notch.

What are the pros and cons with rod brakes?
I suppose the rods won't wear out like
wires would. Also, with those kind of rims, it
seems like a good option as any other option,
save for disc and drum brakes, wouldn't do.
Well, I suppose it is conceivable to construct
a rim brake with moving parts to pull from
beneath, only I haven't seen such a brake if
indeed it was ever put together.

Why the rims looked that way on older bikes,
and what implications that had, is another
thing, but I guess the modern ones in their
different approaches are better, as the old
flavor was abandoned, and that way back in
bicycle history, right?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573