Old August 3rd 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tuschinski

Default Climbing seated on the hoods vs on the tops...??

On Aug 3, 4:34 am, "Steve Freides" wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Aug 2, 6:51 pm, Dan Connelly
I have noticed that more climber climb seated with their hands on
brake hood vs climbing on the tops of the bars. I am not sure if
this
is matter of style vs any actual gain performance. Personally I
prefer
the tops since they allow me to relax more when climbing. One
possible
advantage is that the body is lower so a little less wind
resistance.

Wind resistance is approximately (speed / 40 kph)^3, assuming you can
ride @ 40 kph w/o rolling resistance at the same power on the flats.
So if you're climbing @ 16 kph, this corresponds to (2/5)^3 = 8 / 125
= 6.4% of your total power. If being on the hoods saves 5% of this,
it's 0.3% of your total power, or 0.8 watts, if you climb at 250
watts.

Obviously, wind resistance is a lesser impact the slower you're
going, so on steeper climbs, the tops have a lesser penalty. The
Euro-pros tend to climb at a fairly brisk clip, expending a greater
fraction of their power on wind resistance than you or I would on the
same climb.

Dan

Plus, the Euro pros spend more time training and racing in the drops,
so climbing on the brakehoods may be a more efficient, powerful
position that sitting slightly more upright on the tops. Most of us
don't spend enough time in the drops for the lower position on the
hoods to be that much more efficient than the tops, but the pros do.
I can assure you if they could climb faster on the tops than on the
hoods, they would.

I recall reading somewhere that relatively recently (last 10
years-ish?), the pros started riding wider bars because the ability to
breath more easily/better was worth more what they may have lost in the
way of aerodynamics.

Actually afaik that is debunked. A few inches doesn't hamper or ease
breathing. Something wich anyone who uses the tops for climbing can
agree with... you don't notice a lack of "breathing room"

The 42+ was pretty much standard on Cannondales and other American
bikes. Also, racers used to be smallish(still are) but now drops are
used by a wide range of tourists, measuring a lot more than the
average Pro^^

Might be something to that here as well, i.e., the
tops require a narrower grip than the hoods.

Nope, pure and simple aerodynamics. Another nice one: Aerodynamics
have more effect than weight on TdF cols. The speed of the pros and
the gradient make weight a much smaller factor. It's why the
Lightweight (German Brand) wheels are popular, light AND aerodynamic.
The big disadvantage is that high rims are pretty unforgiving. Using
them 6-7 hours is very uncomfortable, even for most pros.

It's also one of the reasons why drafting behind a teammate still is
important in the mountains.

No science claimed, just thinkin' out loud. I'm still riding 40 cm
bars.

-S-- Hide quoted text -