Old October 9th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-08 17:22, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 16:16:43 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-08 16:05, John B. Slocomb wrote:

[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... but
having said that I might comment that it is not difficult to change
socks, even sitting on the roadside curb.

And change all the other things sitting on a curb in a business park? I
rather flick a little switch and have instant visibility. Upon arrival I
flick it again, visibility turns off. Simple.

As I said, I noticed the orange socks going up and down a kilometer
away on a bright summer day. I doubt strongly whether your super-duper
light would even be visible (in bright daylight) at that distance.

It sure is. I can say that for sure because this occasionally happens on
Green Valley Road when I have to use the car and another cyclist has
such good lighting. No orange socks. The riders with good lights are
often longhaul bike commuters. They wear nice shirts, khakis and have
panniers for their laptops and stuff.

So tell us about all the times you hit, or skidded your smoking tires to
avoid, cyclists who were riding legally but without all the magic
talismans you claim necessary.

I know in advance your tales will be imaginary, but your fantasies are
always such fun to read.

And if you're a long haul commuter, you're not wearing a nice shirt -- unless you're a long haul commuter on an eBike. I ride three miles cross town on a warm day, and I'll soak through my nice work shirt. Maybe I could do it in cool weather, but even then, why would I wear a nice shirt riding a bike? I'm not a missionary, and who wants to get a nice shirt all stinky or covered in road grime. Even around here, the street clothes people tend to commute in t-shirts and change at work (those in my office) -- or work someplace where they can dress like urchins. https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...nMxzsKV8Q.jpeg (commuter traffic on N. Williams). Or they have super-short commutes.

On my side of town, bike specific clothes are more common, probably because of the longer commute distances and climbing. During rainy season, people on both sides of town tend to dress more technically.

I passed a guy this morning who dressed in Showers Pass garb, top to bottom.. I never wear rain pants. Showers Pass, Rapha USA and Castelli USA are all in Portland and all of them have killer warehouse sales, so a lot of people get stuff to dress up. The Rapha sale is crazy. It's like stuffing a phone booth full of clowns, but even at half-off, its too rich for me.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.