Old October 21st 18, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

Default Australian drivers carve up cyclists (short video)

On 20/10/2018 23:15, TMS320 wrote:

On 20/10/18 14:42, JNugent wrote:
On 20/10/2018 12:02, TMS320 wrote:
On 19/10/18 22:34, JNugent wrote:
On 19/09/18 12:04, JNugent wrote:

Does hi-viz not work? If not, you'd better tell the authorities.

Which "authorities" would that be?

You're the best person to know what you had in mind when you first
mentioned "the authorities" a month and 5 replies ago.

Easy.

The authorities for the purposes of researching the benefits of easier
visibility for cyclists are the Department of Transport (and the road
research laboratory).

You're only replying to yourself.

Though you made the classic mistake of mentioning "easier visibility".
Is visibilty the objective or a means to something else?

Even now, the Highway Code only suggests "light-coloured or fluorescent
clothing". The picture shows a rider in jeans and dark t-shirt.

To answer your other question, there are requirements covering places
of work. Though I have no idea idea how much take up is mandatory and
how much is individual businesses voluntarily following guidelines.
If you've never noticed the number of people wandering about in
hi-vis, either you never leave the house or it should serve as a
strong hint that it serves no purpose.

You have no idea at all?

I don't care that I don't know how much is mandatory or voluntary.

We all know about the number of people we see using hi-viz in public
and semi-private locations, presumably for safety-related reasons.

...presumably... Then it's not certain. I suppose it has a use in a
crowd to highlight people that can be asked to give directions to the
nearest toilet.

----

Do you have any particular reason for not wanting threads or posts
older than a fixed period unread or not replied to?

It's a personal choice to not bother with stale threads. Why else?

Whose "personal choice"?

Or do you perhaps purport to issue the above advice by way of a set of
instructions?

It's usually useful to have step by step instructions when building a
mechanical device or changing settings on computers.

Is it?

You know how much I value your opinion.

You are free to carry on as you are so long as others are free to make
derogatory comments about you.

That's so magnanimous of you.

But now, the Windows machine has given way to a Macbook Pro...

Odd... The properties in your post are given as "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
(Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.9.1"

That's because I also have a Windows PC running Thunderbird - but it's
way too big and heavy to be carried within the 23kg weight limit on flights.