Old June 7th 18, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Hex Wrenches

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 17:53:42 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

I fail to understand the love for Wera drivers. They're really
expensive for Chinese made tools, and not any nicer than what Bondhus
sell.

Wera tools are made in Czech Republic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wera_Tools

I can't explain why I like them. Maybe it's because I haven't mangled
any hex head fasteners for many years. Maybe it's because they
actually fit the hex heat bolt. Maybe because I think stainless hex
drivers are cool and some kind of status symbol. Maybe because I have
used their jewelers screwdriver sets without destroying as many
Philips screw heads as I did in the past using Craftsman screwdrivers.

One problem I have will many hex head drivers is that older cap screws
tend to have a loose fit after being inserted and removed a few times.
The sides of the hex usually expands in the middle, but leaves the
corners in their original condition. Since the Hex-Plus patterns
grabs the head by the corners, it still has a good fit. Commodity hex
drivers tend to have a not so good fit, will rattle around in the
heat, and may pop out if tightened at a slight angle.

To be fair, I still have various newer Craftsman, Home Despot, and
Chinese hand tools. They're handy for loaning to friends and
neighbors. I keep the older Craftsman and newer Wera hand tools for
myself.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D