Old January 9th 18, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default flat (or dare I say it: hi-riser) bars on my old Paramount

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:10:33 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I am such an old coot that I don't feel comfortable bending down over my drop bars anymore, and I never seem to ride down in the drops. So I am thinking I'd be better off with a moustache or North Road-type bar, or even a hi-riser bar. Of course I'd get called a bike dweeb, but they are already calling me that anyway.

Your thoughts, please?

retroguybilly

Why do people think that flat bars are more comfortable? They are awful. Just put your drop bars at a higher position maybe combined with a shorter stem so you are comfortable on the hoods and you are done. If you have a good day maybe you can get in the drops in that higher position. Since I have a cross bike with drop bars I rarely take my ATB for off road riding just because the cross bike has drop bars. They are an order of a magnitude more comfortable that flat bars.

Lou